Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Luminosity or a Blended Approach

Do you prefer luminosity or a more blended approach?

I've been studying pastel techniques with 2 different instructors. One prefers to maintain the luminosity of soft pastel. The other prefers a more blended approach.

I've done a few quick practice exercises using both techniques.

If you look at my piece "Do Not Disturb", you will see that I naturally gravitate to the blended approach.

To achieve luminosity, color and tone are built up by layering. No blending. No fingers in the "pie'! The object(s) appear to be lit from behind. It is quite an impressive technique.

I am trying it out on an 8 x 10 oil pastel of my Yorkie. It is is a quick technique in pastel. Deadly in color pencil (color pencil artists have my utmost respect for their perseverance). I do have to confess though. I couldn't take it. I had to give in. I have already blended the tonque and the eyes.

I'm a blender. Are you a blender too?

No comments: