Thursday, November 12, 2009

James Kavanaugh (There Are Men Too Gentle to Live Among Wolves)

"I played God today
And it was fun!
I made animals that men had never seen
So they would stop and scratch their heads
Instead of scowling.
I made words that men had never heard
So they would stop and stare at me
Instead of running.
And I made love that laughed
So men would giggle like children
Instead of sighing.
Tomorrow, perhaps, I won't be God
And you will know it
Because you won't see any three-headed cats
Or bushes with bells on...
I wish I could always play God
So that lonely men could laugh!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Poet. Happens to be my Godfather. He wrote the crooked lil angel for my bro and me. But I suspect he tells all the cousins it is for each of us!

MauB said...

How lucky you are. He is indeed a Great Poet! His works speak to me like few others.