Monday, March 9, 2009

Etsy Twitter Team Shop of the Week - Emmakat

As I sit down to write the Shop of the Week article this week (admittedly a bit late), I’m again struck by how diverse our team members are. I love getting to know our teammates!

Emma Kate Nolan, from Emmakat.etsy.com, is this week’s Shop of the Week. Emma has a background in Architecture and you can see that style come through in her work with beaded jewelry and paper goods. About this she says, “I think you will see the influence of my education in architecture in most of my items, I'm drawn to simple and bold patterns and forms. I like to think up unusual ways of putting things together. I suppose this ends up meaning I'm drawn to asymmetry, circles and black!

I've been making beaded jewelry since elementary school, but I think you'd see a pretty big difference in what I did before architecture school and after, both in style and craftsmanship. I'm also a member of Cruelty Free Etsy and I avoid animal products in my work. Pendants are strung on waxed cotton cord, and I don't work with pearls or shells, for example. I've been a vegetarian for 7 or 8 years now, and avoiding animal products comes pretty naturally at this point.

I'm not really happy unless I'm making something! I try to keep a sketchbook around for ideas. I tend to have more ideas than I have time to create. They're not always great ideas, as I find out sometimes when I try to make them, but it's so satisfying when something works out like you envisioned.”


About Twitter: “I just try to have fun with it. It's nice to see a bump in views when you promote something on Twitter, but I mainly try to enjoy it as an outlet for some random thoughts and for reading other people's tweets. Right now I need to spend some time organizing my TweetDeck better. It's a neat tool, but I haven't had time to take full advantage of it yet. It's actually been a few days since I've had time to mess with Twitter! But I think that's natural, some times you have more time for this sort of thing.” Follow Emma at Twitter! She is blogging here.

No comments: